About Us Classes Testimonials Berston Field House Contact Events
     
 

Berston Field House

 

Berston Field House
3300 N. Saginaw Street
Flint, MI 48502

Chosen Few Art classes are conveniently located in Berston Field House on north Saginaw Street. Berston Field House has served Flint citizens as an important recreational center since it opened in 1923. It was developed on land deeded to the city by members of the Neil J. Berston family in 1920. Originally, the field house contained an auditorium, a gymnasium, a swimming pool, community meeting rooms and a branch of the public library. At Berston people participated in sports, exercised, performed and learned new skills. Many of Flint’s top boxing and basketball talents got their start there. During the mid-1930s, Berston became the first community center to admit African Americans making it an important symbol of race in the community. Today, Berston still serves as a community gathering place for athletics and the arts and is the home of The Chosen Few Arts Council programs.